Steinbeck's announced their upcoming 2nd Annual Chili Cook Off. The event will be held on Sunday, November 16 in Steinbeck's back parking lot. The setup begins at 11AM, followed by cooking at Noon and the judging at 3PM. Steingbeck's is located at 659 East Lake Drive, Suite B, Decatur, GA 30030. There is a $10 entry fee to this event.
All are invited, although the maximum number of contestants is 25. 20 contestants will present chili containing meat, and the other five chili recipe's will not contain meat.
The rules are as follows:
1) Must sign up at Steinbeck's prior to event
2) Must cook meat on Site
3) All other prep may be done ahead of time
4) No Roadkill
5) Supply all of your own cooking equipment: Burner, Propane, Utensils, Rags, Cooler With Ice For Ingredients
6) Must be willing to eat your own chili upon demand
* Steinbeck's will supply cooking tables, serving cups, napkins, spoons (for customers), crackers and napkins. Contestants must prepare 3 to 5 gallons of Chili for patrons and judging (remember, there is a people's choice cash prize so you don't want to run out).
There will be three chef judges:
1)Kevin Rathbun- Chef owner of Rathbun's, Rathbun Steak, and Krog Bar
2)Michael Deihl- Chef of the East Lake Country Club, President of the American Culinary Federation, Certified Executive Chef
3) Kit Kiefer- Corporate Chef for SWAN foods, Certified Executive Chef
Contestants will be scored on the following:
1) 1-10 scale on:
2) Total Score=Total points from above
The first place winner will receive $300 cash, trophy, your chili recipe and name on Steinbeck's menufor a year (unless you win again next year), and your name on the eternal chili trophy to be housed at Steinbeck's for all eternity (or until our lease runs up).
Second Place: Smoker, cooler (filled with BEER), and a BBQ tool set
Third Place: A cooler/radio combo and some hats and shirts for your entourage
Each patron of the event will receive ONE voter ballot to pick their favorite and their least favorite chili. The contestant with the most votes will win the people's choice award, prize, and spot on the eternal trophy.
For more information please call (404) 373-1116, or visit www.steinbecksbar.com.